Michelino di Gino Martini
Greetings from Michelino!
Who is this guy?
The Acadmey of Saint Gabrial said in their report - "The name <Michelino di Gino Martini> would have been pronounced roughly \mee-keh-LEE-noh dee DJEE-noh mar-TEE-nee\, with secondary stress on the first syllable of <Michelino>." However, I keep forgetting that and pronouncing my first name "mich-cha-LEE-noh", like the Michelin man, so feel free to correct me.
Huh. What do you do?
In the SCA, I enjoy fighting heavy in wars, wearing the beautiful garb my lovely wife, the Honorable Lady Lorenza, makes for me, and medieval games. One "peri-oid" game I especially enjoy is Kubb, despite it being very unlikely to be medieval. I've done a little archery, a bit of heraldry, occasional water-bearing, a few turns at constabulary, some table serving, and the assorted gate. I've been playing since about A.S. XXXIV, not counting a one time trip to an event in A.S. XV.
Somehow I was convinced to become a protégé of Hrollaug "Ralg" Nilsen. Should you see me being naughty (a not infrequent occurrence) or especially lazy (frequent occurrence), be sure to report me to him. I'm always interested in tips on how to do interesting service.
You don't say. Who do you hang out with?
Well, lots of folks. Primarily, My lady wife, Alessandra Lorenza di Martini d’Simonetti, and our friend, Gabriella Marguerite Simonetti Rucellai. Most often I can be found at the Clan Carn encampment, or in the company of it's memebers, as they are my primary household. I started with the good ship Merry Knight, but their eventing is now very infrequent. Carn is a Mercenary War Band, that does many activities. The Merry Knight largely just camps and parties, but both are fun folk.
I've been getting to know folks in my local Barony, Aquaterra. Lately I've been helping out a bit and going to a lot of their events.
Due to the fact that the membership of Carn is spread all over, and many are quite involved in their local groups, I've gotten to know quite a few folks in other Baronies as well - Madrone, Wyewood, Blatha an Oir, Dragon's Laire, Glymm Mere and Lion's Gate all contain friends. We previously lived in Madrone.
Well, do you have all that heraldry and stuff?
Chi fa falla, e chi non fa sfarfalla. Those who act make mistakes; and those who do nothing really blunder.
What's your story?
Well, let me tell-a you a story about a man named Michelino; He was a-sitting at at-a home just a-drinking of some vino. He went-a out one day, a-hunting up some pheasant; When he accidentally shot himself a peasant.
Dead, that is - manservant of the magistrate.
Well-a, the first-a thing you know, he's-a getting on a boat; His kinfolk said "Take-a anything that floats!" That's how he and Lorenza came to this present compan-eee; And suddenly left their beloved Napoli!
Ya all res soon now, ya hear?
That is to say, generally late 16th century Italian. However, I'll wear whatever garb my wife takes a fancy to making.
Can you list some of the things you've done?
- First battle markland style combat, XV/1980. Took a while to get back to it, however…
- Two-handed and Pike/spear fighter with Clan Carn war unit 2000 to current.
- Games Master for Clan Carn household from 2000 to 2010-ish.
- Blatha An Oir Corps of Engineers - for helping set up the BaO castle - 2003
- Secretary for Clan Carn household from 2004 to 2006.
- Administer Clan Carn email chat list for about 150 members from 2004 to current.
- Co-ran Autumn War Kubb tournament 2004, 2005.
- Council Member for Clan Carn 2006 to 2008.
- An Tir Culture Wiki admin 2015 to current. I've made around 3,500 edits as of 2017.
- Gate volunteering - various, but somewhat infrequent, from 2000 to current.
- Waterbearing volunteering - various, often at Crown Tournies, from 2000 to current.
- Constabulary volunteering - roving constable often at June Faire - 2000 to 2007 (when position was abolished).
- Retinue (Baroness Guard) for Bryson and Angharad (Aquaterra) 2015 to 2017
- In-person wiki help and education tour 2015:
- Grete Boke for Aquaterra 2016 to current
- Games Champion of Aquaterra LII/2017
Ever get recognized?
(Note: Italicized entries are Clan awards - non-SCA, household internal recognition. I still love and respect these honors.)
- Chew Toy Prime - Clan award - first Chew Toy for Clan Carn (bottom tourney finish, a now abolished award) 2002-2003.
- Sucks Less award - Clan award for most improved fighting 2003.
- I was bestowed with an Award of Arms in AS XLI/2007.
- Banner Bearer - Clan award for being a rabid, dedicated dog soldier. 2008.
- I was awarded a Goutte de Sange at Ursulmas L/2016.
- I received a Silver Dolphin at Banner War LI/2016 (Barony of Aquaterra first level service award)
Have any random extra stuff?
SCA Kingdom wikis - links to other kindom's wikis for ideas/inspiration for our wiki.